Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Re: audits - a slightly off-topic rant Date: 11/7/2002 5:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I don't disagree with your comments (rant) but one of the scary things about IRS audits is that you are presumed guilty until YOU prove your innocence.

This is a popular rant of politicians (saw it in today's WSJ), but it's a misstatement. You are not presumed to be guilty of anything, you are just asked to substantiate certain items on your return. Of course, if the auditor finds that your return should be competing for the fiction Pulitzer, his attitude might change.

Yes, the burden to prove the return is on the taxpayer, but who else would be in the position of being able to prove, for example, itemized deductions? Or would you prefer to have the IRS summonsing information from your medical providers, church, local taxing authorities, etc?

Basically, if you prepare a return from records rather than make one up, you have what you need to prove the return and have nothing to fear from an audit. The real problem, which unfortunately the IRS can't fix, is that it's far too common for it to be an issue exactly how something should be treated. That's a complexity problem only Congress can fix, and I'm not hopeful. This is why whenever someone has a complex transaction, for example sale of rental property, I always advise a paid preparer for that year.

Phil Marti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement