Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 219  
Subject: Re: Health benefits of meditation Date: 3/16/2009 11:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I don't imagine the ' I have a busy life' excuse would fly on this board, rather, it probably means I need it more. Regardless, I have big dreams of going on silent 10 day retreats with learn-ed wisdom teachers :)
Actually, it would fly (except with notabledrunkard). Many folks have that same dilemma, but I've found that meditation or just sitting and being 'mindful' can be practiced in small increments. Sometimes it helps in the beginning just to practice a few relaxation techniques.

I loved the stories I've heard of Ghandi's meditation practice -- two hours a day except on busy days. Then he meditated for four.

Ten day silent retreat is a great goal to have, but as you stated later in your post, start with small steps. You said that one of the 'benefits' of smoking was taking deep breaths. What if you took a few minutes -- anywhere, any time -- to just sit, focus on your breathing and take a few deep breaths. Start with a few and gradually add a couple each day. Before long, you may just achieve that meditation state you are looking for.

By the way, your comment on the smoking and deep breathing was not ridiculous. I've actually heard that from a number of other smokers.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement