UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66  
Subject: Re: Development Stage Company Valuation Date: 4/17/2006 9:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't invest in "Penny stocks" but I do sometimes invest in listed low priced stocks and private venture capital companies. One low priced stock that I bought in December 2005 through January 2006 was Sycamore Networks (SCMR). The stock has a market capitalization of $1.32 billion, yet was selling for less than the company's cash per share of $3.45. I bought a lot of Sycamore at $3.35 per share or less. Last week's closing price was $4.42 - up over 30% from my cost in my IRA. I have also been buying Taser (TASR) for $7 per share or less in my IRA.

Another good investment has been OraSure Technologies (OSUR) bought for between $5 and $6 per share with one additional 1,000 share purchase at $7. Stock closed at $10 last week. I bought OraSure Technologies because I saw during the summer of 2004 that their Oral Fluid rapid HIV test was approved by the FDA. I only buy stocks that my analysis leads me to believe can be four-baggers in three to five years.

I do not subscribe to any of the Premium MF Newsletters. If I would subscribe to one or two of them, it would probably be Inside Value and/or Hidden Gems. I do not subscribe for two reasons: 1. the $199 newsletter fee is not worth it to me, and 2. I have more good to great investment ideas than I have funds to buy them all.

Disclosure: I own shares in all of the companies mentioned in this post. My stock holdings are listed in my MF Profile under "Favorite Stocks".

Kahuna,CFA
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement