Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know about variable annuities... you might be able to roll the thing over into a conventional IRA and benefit thereby. But in general, an annuity you pay for yourself is a bad investment and it might be worthwhile to pay the early-termination penalties just to get your money working for you rather than for the insurance company.

(If you want to invest with an insurance company, buy shares of the company stock.)

A conventional IRA: you can draw from it using what's called a 72(t) plan or a SEPP plan. Those are two names for the same thing; the first name is a reference to a particular bit of the tax code, and the second stands for "Substantially Equal Periodic Payments". Read the tax code for details. You WILL have to pay income tax on the withdrawal.

A Roth IRA: if you can determine the total amount you have contributed, (special note later if you've done conversions from conventional IRA to Roth IRA) you can take that much out early without tax or penalty or restriction. But you really don't want to go beyond that if you don't have to, because you have to pay income tax on further early withdrawals - and if it isn't in a 72(t) plan you'll also pay the same 10% penalty.

Now if you've done conversions from conventional to Roth, you should treat the amount converted as untouchable for five years. If you withdraw any of that money before the five years are up, you owe the 10% penalty on the amount withdrawn - effective the date of the CONVERSION. It's late. Possibly nearly five years late. There are penalties for being that late. There's interest due for being that late. Don't go there. But once the five years are up, the converted amount counts as contributions to the Roth IRA and can be withdrawn at will without penalty.

401K, 403B: possibly can be rolled over to a conventional IRA.

457: this is another account similar to a 401K or 403B, for certain sorts of employer. It has one critical difference. If you are no longer employed by that employer, you can legally take money out of the 457 account as you will, subject only to income tax. No penalty and no age rule.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.