Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: FIRE Update Date: 1/3/2013 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to your first concern. You have a low mortgage interest rate, so some out there may don't pay any extra on it as you can make more by investing. However, for peace of mind, I fall into the side that says pay some extra on your mortgage to pay it off quicker so it's not hanging over you.

I'm leaning toward putting everything I can into paying off the mortgage early. I think no debt = freedom and will feel way better than having $XX mortgage debt but $XX in investments.

FIRE plan. What do you enjoy doing? If you can pay your house off, can you work PT and make enough to save enough to build up your pot large enough that it will last you?

That's the $64,000 question. I know what I like to do but I don't know how to get paid for it. My main two interests are travel and personal finance. The biggest driver for wanting to FIRE is to have more time to travel. I only get 3 wks/yr vacation and that's really not enough for me. At one point I thought about becoming a CFP but a) I don't like trying to 'sell' to people and b) any job would have to allow for the flexibility to travel a lot. I figure if I can make ~$50K/yr, that would be enough to live and continue to build the pot. Note this is contingent on my employer continuing to utilize our pension plan (I'm expecting that to be a decent chunk of retirement income). If the pension changes or goes away, I would need to stay in my current job longer.

I'm about 5 years away from FIRE. I'm figuring out what it is I enjoy doing and weighing some of my options. Do I work PT? Do I go to a tropical country for the winters and perhaps try to tutor English while there. Do I volunteer locally? Do I try to get a FT job that I can keep for a few years to really maximize my investments?

All of us are different. We all have to figure out for ourselves what works best for us.

I wish you the best in figuring out your plan.

I've thought about all of those things too. Thanks!

-Steph
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement