Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2787  
Subject: Re: Christmas Loot Date: 12/30/2012 3:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I don't know Mansions of Madness, but I do like Carcassone and Dominion. And the Munchkin games, while cute, have too many tedious accounting headaches to be fun for me. Glad you like them though, that's all that matters.

And now, OUR FAMILY LOOT...

Indigo is quick and lots of fun. Puzzley/maze tile-laying game. I am creaming my son in this but I just told him how to play defense so I'm sure he'll get better.

X Marks The Spot is quick and lots of fun. Pirate-themed domino-like card game with card-stacking. You always feel like you are in it because games can turn quickly. Arrrrr!

7 Wonders is quick and lots of fun. Kinda like a quick version of Settlers, but more choose-your-own-pathy. Fun because it feels like it is always your turn... everybody is drafting and playing his/her card at the exact same time. Lots of strategy going on for this short game.

Zombie Dice is quick and lots of fun. Zombie-themed press-your-luck dice-rolling game. The ultimate filler game. Plays in minutes. Mmmmm... braaaains!

Incan Gold is quick and lots of fun. Temple-adventurer-themed press-your-luck card game. Easy on the brain cells. You only have two actions. Game gets better with more players.

Saboteur is quick and lots of fun. Dwarven-goldminer-themed card game with hidden-identity saboteurs. Tunnel a path to the gold, if you can. Game appears to get better with more players, but we only had 5. IMO, this one is better than (the similar) Bang! because you don't have to keep explaining the cards to everyone.

Pass The Pigs is quick and lots of fun. Rolling rubber pig miniatures as dice and trying to get them to land a certain way. How fun is that?! My youngest likes this one.

Wits And Wagers Family is quick and lots of fun. Numbers-based party trivia game with wagering. Unfortunately too many nerdy engineers in our group knew answers to some of the science questions. Still fun.

Dixit: Jinx is quick and very colorful. Okay, so my mind is little too structured and literal to be able to think up good, fuzzy clues. So not superfun for me, but it is fun to look at and my kids will play it.

And my son got more Magic: The Gathering cards, but I haven't played those with him yet.

As you can tell, the theme this year was short games without a lot of pieces that could be played with big, family groups. Our extended family group liked 7 Wonders and Saboteur the best. This many new games will last us for a long while.

My wife will play Zombie Dice and Pass The Pigs and she is warming up to playing some of the others on this list. Woohoo! She is always the swing-player, usually swinging into the "not playing" camp.

--Rod
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement