UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JoJoJackson Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75653  
Subject: I dont like insurance companies Date: 2/2/2001 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I participate in my companies 401-K plan administrated through American United Life. The only index fund available is a fund called SSgA S&P 500 Flagship Fund. This fund is proprietary to the insurance industry and is not listed like a normal mutual fund with a symbol followed by an "X".

I do not like the fact that I cannot follow the share price of the fund. I can only track "unit" value. I can't get a straight answer what a unit represents from my company or from A.U.L. The best explanation they gave me is that a unit represents a fraction of a share. They don't know what % the fraction is. They claim that the only expenses are what is covered in the .25% Portfolio Expense Ratio.

I have an inherent distrust of all insurance companies and I would never even think about using any insurance product as an investment or of using any insurance company's investment services unless I have no choice. I have no choice with my 401-K. If I want to participate, I use A.U.L.

What I need help with is what specific questions do I need to ask and to whom do I ask them? I know someone at A.U.L. can answer my questions if I ask the right person and avoid the rank and file employee who really doesn't know the answers.

Am I being prudent in my distrust of insurance companies? Or am I too paranoid?

JoJoJackson
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement