Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: thenderson Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 174  
Subject: Re: future of FAF Date: 11/19/2005 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I don't mean to profit by other people's pain, but if all these people won't be able to afford their homes, someone* is going to acquire it, right? Either through sale or foreclosure. It shouldn't really matter to the title companies how much the homes sell for. So, while I can think of other stocks that I might hesitate to invest in, I'm wondering if I even have to worry about my FAF...

Maya,

Well, maybe someone will buy that house.

However, I believe the concern falls into at least three areas.
1.As interest rates rise, mortgage refinancing will slow.
2.As interest rates rise, people may decide to stay put in their current home/apartment/parent's basement.
3.If home prices fall, revenues from title services rendered on deals that do go through will fall as policy premiums are based on property value.

This may all be true in the current environment of rising interest rates, and FAF CEO Parker Kennedy has stated that FAF is a somewhat cyclical company. This is something that FAF is trying to moderate as they move into other areas of information services. For an example of this diversification that specifically addresses the forclosure market see:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=118425&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=774787&highlight=

New Study Investigates Residential Real Estate Foreclosures

ANAHEIM, Calif., Oct. 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- First American Real Estate Solutions (RES(R)), the nation's largest provider of advanced property and ownership information, analytics and services, released a new study today that investigates the prevalence of foreclosure sales and the depth of discounts in 629 counties in 36 states, including the District of Columbia.

Entitled "Residential Foreclosures: The Prevalence, the Power and the Opportunity," the study by Christopher Cagan, Ph.D., director of research and analytics at First American Real Estate Solutions, quantifies the correlation between foreclosures as a percentage of total sales and the size of the discount buyers typically receive when purchasing foreclosure properties.

"Our clients are seeking advanced analytics to respond to trends, often in multiple markets," said George Livermore, president of The First American Corporation's Property Information and Services Group. "This comprehensive, nationwide analysis helps businesses identify areas where foreclosures are more frequent, and that helps them make more informed decisions."

During the last decade, First American RES has compiled the nation's largest database of property information and today utilizes it in conjunction with proprietary processes to improve operational efficiency and deliver new analytical products and services to its clients.

As stated by Philip Durell in Sept. 2004 issue of Inside Value: ( http://boards.fool.com/Profile.asp?uid=35610062)

First American has made considerable efforts to diversify its business portfolio away from a reliance on mortgage financing. However, its title insurance and mortgage information segments still make up 70% of net income. The biggest risk is that the real estate market could decline further than has been projected by the industry.

I'm keeping an eye on my FAF. As a matter of fact, I'm trying not to “fall in love” with it as it has been a great boost to the value of my portfolio, so far*. I will continue to be interested in seeing how the company deals with, and hopefully overcomes, any headwind from adverse real estate market trends.

Good fortune,

Tom H.

*Perhaps this price appreciation partly reflects the high level of pessimism felt by the market when I was buying.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement