UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37182  
Subject: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
I was thinking about getting a new computer. A new computer would be faster...but the old one seems fast enough. A new computer would have more memory...but I don't use all the memory of the old one. It would be more enjoyable to work on a new computer...???

I realized I couldn't justify a new computer on any grounds whatsoever--I just wanted a new one because I didn't enjoy working on the old one. And why not? Because the room is a disaster. There are boxes piled up in the middle of the room with a path around it so I can get to my desk, file cabinet, and the bookcases on every available wall. Well, a new computer would certainly fix that, wouldn't it? Right.

So I got rid of 2 boxes this weekend. They were holding books, which I sold to Half-Price books. Actually, I got rid of the contents of 2 boxes. One box I couldn't pull out because the whole pile would fall over. Tonight I'm going to pick out a couple more items off the pile and get rid of them.

Karen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9668 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So I got rid of 2 boxes this weekend. They were holding books, which I sold to Half-Price books. Actually, I got rid of the contents of 2 boxes. One box I couldn't pull out because the whole pile would fall over. Tonight I'm going to pick out a couple more items off the pile and get rid of them.

Karen

--------------------------------

And that is a good way to get rid of boxes. Congrats on getting started and not caving into the feel-goodness of spending!

I am working my way through closets. They are neat and orderly but there is so much stuff I haven't used and won't use. If anyone can tell me if LPs sell on E-Bay or any other locations, I'll take that info. I have 2 boxes worth and 2 record players that really need to get gone.

CaveGirl

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9669 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 1:44 PM
Hey, Karen

Great post.
I am feeling cooped up and out of sorts. thanks for sharing, because when I look around I see that I have no work space left, just stacks on all available surfaces.
Taking you as a role model - I'm going to put in twelve minutes discarding and soritng so that I have a good place to work.

YeilB
home from work
it's Seward's Day in Alaska

and not used to having free time at all!!

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9670 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 1:46 PM
if LPs sell on E-Bay or any other location

in my little town, the public radio station accepts vinyl and has a sale (funds go to the station)

I know somebody moved to Portland Oregon and started a used lp store. I think it's like a bookstore, you cna sell him your records....

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9671 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 1:49 PM
it's Seward's Day in Alaska

It's Ceasar Chavez Day in Denver.

I'm pretty much retired so no holidays but it's anti-procrastination day for me. Appts made, hair cut, money moved and just about ready to get the car aligned and its tires rotated.

rad

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9672 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 1:58 PM
thanks rad -
you sound quite productive and organized today -

We have an inch of fresh snow and a little bit more falling.

YeilB

My book story is that we filled a box for the Friends of the Library last night - that made room for the new Tour de France book collection we are assembling!

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9673 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 3:26 PM
After I dropped the car and was walking to Subway for lunch, I was contemplating the why - why did I spring into action today when I have a lot of days where I putz around ? I have no answer. Maybe I decided I would do all my phoning and get it done. maybe my to-do list got to a certain length.

Sigh - I wish I knew the secret.

rad

Author: dofitch1 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9675 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 5:32 PM
My wife's deceased husband was an LP collector. We have over a thousand records (some quite valuable to another collector) in the basement. As we are getting ready to move, and don't plan on taking them with us, we need to decide the best (easiest) way to get rid of them. Proceeds would be split between her two boys for college expenses. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Hal

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9676 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/28/2005 5:57 PM
I'm doing better on getting to new tasks, but I still have some very old tasks on my list.

I've been using the journalling of "Getting Things Done" -- everything to be done written in one list, sorted only by what I need or where I need to be to do them. I used to have many more tasks assigned to days of the week, now I have only a few.

The first few weeks working on the list broke the system I already have; I didn't do laundry for a week, which is usually something I'm good at getting to.

I think it's working for me, as well as anything is at the moment.

- Megan

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9677 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/29/2005 8:59 AM
Perhaps advertise in a magazine aimed at such collectors?

Author: greet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9678 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/30/2005 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
a new computer would certainly fix that, wouldn't it?

Oh yeah.

We visited a friend of mine who has her own little house and lives in Zen monk-like simplicity compared to us, the Packrats. One simple little lamp on her simple mission-style nightstand caught my eye. So when I found a lamp just like it while shopping with a different buddy of mine, I had to have it.

"Why do you need this particular lamp?" she asked.

"Because if I buy this it will magically transform my house into a house just like Jackie's." Part of me really believed it. Like the time I bought the blue glazed birdbath, believing it would turn the back yard into the Garden of Eden. If only!

I need a fairy godmother.

greet.

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9679 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/30/2005 2:53 PM
Recommendations: 8
This week has been productive procrastination. I haven't had the mental energy for the large complex jobs. But I have done the following this week:

- made 4,000 photocopies
- filled out and mailed three rebates
- returned library books
- waxed our new (to us) dining table so I won't be so afraid of using it
- photographed items for my housemate to sell on ebay
- packaged something that's been sitting on my desk for weeks to send to a friend.
- glue a thread onto the top of a small Eiffel tower (to make it into a Christmas ornament). That's been in my desk for five years, I think.
- data enter pointers to recipes from Cooks Illustrated into my computer files of recipes (I don't type in the whole recipe, just the title and which issue it's in.)
- cleared off the old upstairs table, disassembled it, and moved in the table that used to be where the table I waxed is now.
- replaced the phone cable so the bedroom phone now reaches to the bed
- found a new home for the photos where I'll use them (this led to a chain of moving things around)
- actually emptied the basket of stuff that's going upstairs (as opposed to my usual trick of leaving it upstairs full)
- select pictures I"m fond of from the box of photos and put them into frames. Now (almost) all of the frames have pictures in them and I'm contemplating where I would like them to go. (I have a small double frame and no pictures spring to mind.) It seems a little odd to wait 8 years before displaying wedding photos, though.)
- picked up little pieces of paper and everything else from all over the floor of my office.
- fixed the house internet network with the old chestnut: turn everything off, disconnect everything (total of 8 ethernet cables), and then reboot everything.
- Spent over an hour providing tech support to my aunt, a true computer novice.

I feel much better having written that down. Since it was just odds and ends it didn't add up to much when I looked at what I need to do, or what changed in my physical environment. One advantage of being housewife, financial manager, and social secretary -- if I don't want to do one set of tasks there's always something else to work on.

Now I'm off to offer the old upstairs table on freecycle and do yardwork.

- Megan

Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9680 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/30/2005 3:16 PM
Megan, I have to ask: 4,000 photocopies of what?????

Congrats on all the stuff you got done! If it helps, DH & I have been married for 4.5 years and we don't have any pictures on the walls either. At least not of our wedding. (There is one photo of us at someone else's wedding in a collage frame I put together before we got married. That frame is the only photos on the wall anywhere.)

Selphiras

Author: bookaholic Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9681 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/30/2005 6:01 PM
One advantage of being housewife, financial manager, and social secretary -- if I don't want to do one set of tasks there's always something else to work on.

Ain't that the truth! That sounds like one of my days.

bookaholic
Avoided cleaning bathrooms on this first warm, sunny day of the year by spring cleaning the car....

Author: n3745n One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9682 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/31/2005 10:57 AM
Karen,

Thank you for your post! Like you the thought of a new laptop has been percolating in the back of my mind for some time. Your post made me wake up and realize I don't need a new laptop my old one does quite nicely, thank you very much.

But a new copy of Quicken would be very nice....

Thank you for the wakeup call!

Ellen

(posted and e-mailed)

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9683 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/31/2005 11:34 AM
But a new copy of Quicken would be very nice....

You may want to look at ebay or half.com. I gave away the copy I got free with rebate by buying Turbotax this year. Last year I sold it for $5 at half.com.

rad

Author: n3745n One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9684 of 37182
Subject: Re: I don't need a new computer. Date: 3/31/2005 11:41 AM
RAD,

Thank you for the idea, I'll head over there (do they have mac too?)

Ellen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement