Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121976  
Subject: I don't need another dog Date: 11/19/2012 3:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
DH just showed me a 3 year old, 22 lb border collie X spaniel on a rescue-adoption web page. Since my beloved Faith (who died in 2011 at age 17) was a BC probably X spaniel, I really wanted to replace her with a similar small, sweet tempered dog.

Cliff (who is probably BC X GSD) is bigger than I wanted, at 55 lbs. Cliff was in rough shape and unsocialized when we got him a year and a half ago. I have put many, many hours into training Cliff. He is now a handsome, loving dog who recalls well, follows many commands and adores to be petted by me. He is somewhat socialized with strangers if I give him the "Friend" command. Cliff is a good dog now, but he would immediately fail a therapy dog test because he wouldn't tolerate handling by a stranger. No question that Cliff is a good watch dog. There have been numerous burglaries in our area but I feel much safer with Cliff in the house.

I only have 2 hands and adopting a third dog would stress me. DH suggested that we swap Cliff for the little BC X spaniel (he was joking). Now that Cliff is secure in his home and the love of a family and pack, I couldn't stand to betray him by tossing him back into the pool of un-homed dogs.

I don't need another dog. The little BC X spaniel will probably be adopted soon, she is so pretty. She is the dog I really wanted.

I don't need another dog.

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fancifree Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120075 of 121976
Subject: Re: I don't need another dog Date: 11/19/2012 8:00 AM
Recommendations: 8

Wendy

And, you should keep repeating that after you call and make an appointment to meet her:)

-Donna

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120077 of 121976
Subject: Re: I don't need another dog Date: 11/19/2012 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 4

Who said anything about "needing" another dog.
Sounds like you "want" this dog. Nothing wrong with that!

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120160 of 121976
Subject: Re: I don't need another dog Date: 12/5/2012 9:47 AM
Recommendations: 0
I don't need another dog. The little BC X spaniel will probably be adopted soon, she is so pretty. She is the dog I really wanted.

So, did you get the dog you really wanted?

LWW

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120163 of 121976
Subject: Re: I don't need another dog Date: 12/5/2012 11:25 AM
Recommendations: 3
<did you get the dog you really wanted?>

I contacted the rescuer (Eileen Gillette of Ravensgate Border Collie Rescue), who told me that the BC/spaniel's personality was unfriendly and pretty much the opposite of Faith's, despite the superficial physical resemblance. Since even Eileen, who has rescued over 700 dogs and is an expert, found her "challenging," I wouldn't be able to handle her at all.

The advantage of adopting a dog from an experienced rescuer, as opposed to a dog pound, is that the rescuer gets to know the dog and can give a clear, unbiased description of the dog's character. Appearances can deceive and adoption is a lifetime commitment.

Wendy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement