UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rhecker One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749065  
Subject: Re: Golf as a threat to health? Date: 7/26/2000 4:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I don't play golf nor do I have any strong feelings about the game one way or the other, but I have to say that I find the Mr. Stuttaford's article very suspect and basically just hashed together. I wonder if it took him more than 5 minutes to write it.

First, the title "Why is this sport linked with early death" assumes that it is linked with early death without providing any evidence or even any mention of a study. So the entire premise of the article is unsupported.

Half of his argument - that golfers get angry when they have an off day - doesn't even acknowledge that there are many other sports which are probably a lot less peaceful than golf. He doesn't even compare this anger risk with that of someone who doesn't play golf.

I guess the couple paragraphs about backache are a feeble attempt to pad the story which has no substance in the first place. It certainly does nothing to support his unfounded premise that golf is linked to early death or that it contributes to the cardiovascular disease which supposedly kills more golfers than their "contemporaries". And who is this mysterious group of contemporaries. Does he mean everybody of the same age in the whole world?

Oh yes... and we must not forget the study which shows that the clubs that golfers habit are havens for the promotion of smoking and drinking. More so than any other sport, in fact. True, I must concede he only says these things "might" be associated with the golf-club life.

The article simply has very little medicine and even less science behind it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement