Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I don't see any chance Apple will capture much more of the market than it has; unless a person is an Apple user already, it would make no sense for them to purchase such a limited system.

I'll quote from Apple's iMac page:
1) "With its new Setup Assistant, the iMac can get you on the Internet in ten minutes."
2) "The DV-model iMacs not only let you watch movies, they even let you get started making them yourself. iMac DV models come loaded with Apple's easy-to-use iMovie software."
3) 350- or 400MHz PowerPC G3 processor
512K backside level 2 cache
100MHz system bus
64MB or 128MB of PC100 SDRAM
(3.3-volt, 64-bit wide, 168-pin, running at 100
MHz); two DIMM slots support up to 512MB
using 64MB, 128MB, or 256MB DIMMs
4) ATI RAGE 128 VR 2D/3D graphics accelerator with 8MB of SDRAM graphics memory and AGP 2X support
5) 6GB, 10GB, or 13GB Ultra ATA hard disk drive Slot-loading 24x-speed (maximum)
CD-ROM drive; or slot-loading 4x-speed
(maximum) DVD-ROM drive (plays DVD-Video discs; plays CD-ROMs at up to 24x speed)
6) Built-in 56K modem supports V.90 and K56flex standards (RJ-11 connector)*
7) Audio - Integrated high-performance Odyssey audio system from Harman Kardon Built-in microphone for speech recognition and audio recording Front-mounted dual mini headphone jacks Analog audio input and output minijacks; up to 16-bit stereo and 44.1kHz sampling rate

The iMac is the basic consumer piece of their product line. I won't even go into the iBook, Powerbook, or G4 specs. Exactly how is this a limited system? Put this next to a $800 celeron box & tell me which one is worth the money?

The argument that all one wants to do, in the main, is surf the net, and send a letter to Aunt Martha, would require a person to pay much too much for the basic Apple box,
See above re: "basic Apple box."

then too much again for a limited selection of printers, and a non-competetive price for software.
Interesting thought considering the number of Windows box makers who are now including USB ports with all of their machines & the number of peripheral makers who are adapting USB & Firewire. I guess this argument was valid last year. Today? Not so much.

Apple made its bones in the educational market; now, with impossible budgets leaving schools with too few books, and no supplies, how can too-costly computer purchases be justified?
You'll get no argument from me re: Apple's success in the education market. Regarding current budgets? I would submit that budgets have always been an issue in the school systems. This is not a new phenomenon. Yet, and I quote, "Apple made its bones in the educational market", all the while having a line of products that have always carried a higher price point than Windows based pc's. What's different today? Secondly, I would further submit that, as our nation, nay our world, continues it's rapid shift towards technology, it is the schools reponsibility make those computer purchases & prepare our children for that techno-centric marketplace. I would finally submit that they continue to do so.

However, this & your other reasons above show that you're limiting yourself to hardware. Consider, if you will, Apple's growing strength beyond hardware. I give you Quick Time. I concede that Apple would be severely limited if they were simply a box maker. They are, however, not so.
For a terrific explanation of the varied strength of Apple, I encourage you to read (or re-read) blueHerrings post:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1030042001039000&sort=id

In addition, you're arguments leave out the value the Brands have in todays marketplace. It's a fact that Brands & design wiegh heavily in the mind of a purchaser. Don't think so? Look at iMac's success. No better example than that. For a terrific post on this thought, consider reading this post from kmdesignfools:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1060205003332000&sort=id

Apple, poor Apple, I'm afraid you are suffering the Curse of Job(s)!
Indeed. & we have only the performance of the stock, as well as Apple's financials to offer as evidence of the "dire" position this puts the company in.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement