Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LeKitKat Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21596  
Subject: Re: David Gardner Date: 10/25/2012 9:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 45
I don't think this is tales told out of school

DG is beating the S&P at SA by 81% and is up over the decade or so 107.4%. So doubled his money over 10 or 11 years. Don't know the inception off hand.

What happens with his stuff is a lot of stocks outperform incredibly-- Disney 2397%, Amazon 1356%, Priceline 252.9%.

There are many re-recommendations at different price points that also count towards the final tally. Disney appears a few times as does Activision and Netflix.

There are around 124 recommendations--some repeats. Around 45 of those are in the red--not a bad percentage track record. The misses are big at as much as 94% losses.

The problem is this is not a portfolio and there are no position sizes It's just a list of ideas. The good ideas are huge. The losses equally as bad but not as many of those as wins.

The other problem I have seen over the years with these two ideas per month newsletters is that the subscribers often overweight the losers and have no internal controls or discrimination that allows them to separate the ideas that are really good from those that are doomed to fail. I have seen a few subscribers absolutely ruined by trying to follow the ideas every month. I am equally certain a fair number manage to go overweight in the winners and come out well.

DG has an uncanny talent for seeing the possibilities for growth mainly in things consumers want. There is a paucity of industrials, financials, and energy. He is a consumer oriented wunderkind.

The problem I have had over the years is believing the stories as they are presented to subscribers. The Fool requires every idea to be presented as if it is a sure thing and the best idea they have seen --at least for the month. The research is always packed with enthusiasm and Foolishness and little balance. The risk section is usually short and not detailed. So over the years I have adopted a skepticism for all the research that really isn't warranted. Still trying to figure out a way to sort the wheat from the chaff.

The most successful subscribers are those who can believe the stories in the research and fearlessly buy and get lucky enough to get bigger exposure to the winners than the losers. I do believe there is a fair amount of luck involved for the subscribers that have no tools to research the ideas by themselves and make an independent decision.

I failed to buy Disney and Amazon and Apple and am seriously working to lower my threshold of skepticism of a good story that may be true.

Since I try to own fewer than 40 stocks, buying all 124 recs is not an option and that makes picking the right one more difficult as it does fo all subscribers that don't buy every rec.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement