UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885554  
Subject: Re: Yahoo article - Student loans Date: 3/24/2013 3:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I don't understand why there was no plan on the daughter assisting with the loans for her education.

Based on the article, I think the daughter took out the maximum student loans she was able to get, and then the mother took out additional loans after the daughter maxed out.

After emptying the family's college savings and maxing out the federal student loans her older daughter was eligible for, Ms. Jackson still had an annual tab of up to $11,000. She ended up borrowing more than $44,000 in Plus loans, including loans she later took out for her younger daughter's education.

The article doesn't say why the daughter attended a school that was so expensive. But the other example was a student who attended the University of Tennessee because it was his "dream school" even though his family lived in Wisconsin, which has an excellent public university that would have probably had much lower in-state tuition. I'm not sure you can complain about student loan debt if you don't at least try to take cost into consideration when you decide on a college. If you can't pay your costs with the maximum amount of federal loans, maybe you should rethink where you're attending college - or at least decide whether the extra cost is worthwhile.

Karen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement