No. of Recommendations: 0
I downloaded the new windows media player (and may I say I don't like it much), but imagine my surprise to find that
many of my cds have artist, title, and track names embedded in them! The oldest one I've found w/ this info is on
rykodisc from 1992 (I always new they were ahead of the curve).

I don't think the names are imbedded in the disc, but rather there's a serial number imbedded in any disk which can be registered with an online database (can't remember the name or URL, unfortunately). Even independent artists can register their CD with the database and the labels will show up in some software (in the case of the 92 CD, someone could have registered it as recently as this year). This is not the same thing as the actual labels sometimes on the disc (which might show up, say, in the LCD display of a more recent component CD player).

Then again, I haven't seen the new Windows player so I don't know if I'm thinking of something else. Though this would explain the 92 anomoly.

my gripe w/ the new media player is that it seems to have a much lower volume, so I have to max the internal volume control and still turn up the overall windows volume to hear much.

Is there a separate control for the player? If so, try maxing both that and the CD-Rom Balance (found by double-clicking on the Volume control on the Windows "task" bar). If you've already done so, I'd just turn off all error sounds (through the Control Panel menu).

Hope this helps.

Alex.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement