Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: madbrain Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: To become a landlord or not ? Date: 4/15/2011 10:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I ended up taking the home off the market. I think that this is really a bad time to sell and realize the losses. My crystal ball does not tell me if prices will recover sufficiently before the 2.5 years after which I would have to pay capital gains and depreciation recapture on the sale, but I'm hopeful that there will be some good appreciation over a longer period, possibly enough to make it worthwhile and pay for said taxes.

I put the home with a management company. I hope it will be rented within a few weeks. I am doing a no-cost refi at 4.5% on a 7 year ARM as a non-owner-occupied property. The principal and interest payment will be $1266. That is double the $625 interest-only payment on the line of credit currently. But I won't have to worry about interest payments going up. 7 years should be enough time for prices to recover to some acceptable level. Even after that, the lifetime rate cap is 9.5% . The lifetime rate cap is 18% on the current HELOC.

The higher payment means that the property will be cash flow negative for at least the first year. I put in 4.5% vacancy rate for the county, 8% management fee, $200 for maintenance, the current HOA monthly fees and insurance rate, and came up with $261 per month cash flow negative the first year. On the first payment on the new loan, there will be $329 of principal payment. So, it's not really losing money, unless property values drop further, and I'm betting that within the next 7 years, they will be higher than now.

I have been reading more about the tax rules. It seems that only the depreciation that was taken is recaptured and taxed as ordinary income. But if there is other appreciation, it's still taxed as a capital gain. So the penalty for selling after september 2013 is not quite as bad as I previously thought. I will still try to sell before in 2 years if market conditions are good, of course, but if not I will continue renting out.

Apparently, the IRS rules may consider me an "active manager" if I make decisions such as setting the rent. I don't have to be managing every detail of the property, the property management company will do that.

Lastly, thing is that my partner and I are going to finally enter into a California domestic partnership this year. The rules for gay and lesbian couples are very complicated, and we can't file jointly for federal purpose, but we have to add our incomes and deductions, divide by two, and then file separate federal returns. Because my partner earns much less than me, this means that I will be regarded as a much lower earner on my 1040, less than 6 figures, and will be able to fully deduct all the losses from depreciation and other rental losses every year. I will be in a lower tax bracket and my partner in a higher tax bracket. The effective tax rate will be lower. With no rental losses, and about 7000 of depreciation, the deduction should be worth at least 2500, so in the end it would be close to cash flow neutral after taxes. Of course that depreciation would be recaptured eventually upon sale.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement