Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mathetes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: capital gains when you short Date: 7/13/1999 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I exercised and held a good deal of my former company's ISO's, and the stock's gone up quite a bit. I haven't yet fulfilled the 1-year holding requirement, and my income for this year is abnormally high due to ISO's I exercised and sold cashlessly, so I'd like to avoid selling them if I could.

Bob already posed the question I wondered about: AMT. You say you held "a good deal... of the ISOs." If that good deal involved bargain element gains of $30,000 or more, then you pretty definitely are in AMT territory. Assuming you also have other preference items on your tax return (state and local tax deductions, real estate tax deductions, for example), you will be incurring AMT if those preference items and the bargain element here from your ISOs exceeds $30 to $35,000.

I don't know what the complications might be if you start combining with covering short sales. More importantly, the two actions together are quite incongruous. People normally buy ISOs on the premise that they're going up; they short stock on the premise that it's going down. Doing the two actions in concert sounds like shooting from the hip and getting yourself in the foot.

Covering would pretty certainly be a "disqualifying disposition" of the ISOs, if it's within 12 months, exposing you to normal income tax on the bargain element, instead of AMT.

You would be well advised to talk to somebody in whom you can place your trust, and talk about the amounts involved, do some what-if scenarios, and so on.

mathetes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement