Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: THagenah Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35  
Subject: Re: Glaxo, a possible suitor Date: 9/19/1999 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I feel like I have survived a nuclear blast and have finally heard from one other survivor! There is not a lack of interest in AHP in the stock market in general, but there certainly is on this board. It is only slightly more animated on Yahoo and Silicon Investor. I have held AHP for 4 years. To the casual observer it would appear that this is the company that can't shoot straight. All of its legal problems and all of its failed attempts at a merger. Bottom line is that I think the worst is behind it and that 39 and change was the bottom for this stock. Everybody and their brother has been recommending AHP. Money magazine loved it a year ago for its pipeline. Morgan Stanley Dean Witter has it on it recommended list with, again, glowing comments about the pipeline. So let's assume for a minute that the pipeline is as good as everyone says it is. Are the legal problems behind them? Probably not yet, but getting close. The big news on the probable settlement of the Phen-fen problem is a solid point in its favor. Will a settlement of 3 billion hurt AHP's bottom line much? Probably a little, but it gets the bad news overwith. I have read everything I can find on the reasons why the two previously announced mergers didn't go through. As best I can see it was a conflict of corporate cultures at play, especially so in the case of Monsanto. I'm hoping some other prince will come along and combine with AHP because I do firmly believe it has to combine to be competative in the future. Its pipeline is attractive and if its legal problems look like they're close to solution this might be a solid stock to hold onto. But then AHP is a small part of a larger portfolio which I have constructed principally around tech stocks, so I have the patience to wait it out. Thanks for posting. Don't be a stranger, come back again and let us know what you think
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement