No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been lurking a bit and feel really silly but need to ask this question.

I'm guessing you can have both a Roth and a traditional IRA in a situation such as the following.

You start your job and make less than 95,000 or 150,000 (joint) so you start a Roth IRA. Over the next few years, you start to make more money so you no longer qualify for the Roth so you stop contributing to the Roth and make a traditional IRA.

Now both the Roth and traditional IRA exist and work for you even though you can no longer contribute to the Roth. Is this correct?

Another question is if you have an open Roth IRA (above situation), can you then rollover a 401(a) plan into it? My guess would be no since you can no longer contribute to it.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.