Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I filed Federal return 3/5/08 and it lists SEP contribution of $2000 for tax year 2007. Since I filed, I have had an unexpected influx of some money that would allow me to fund the SEP to the max for 2007 by making an additional contribution.

Posts on this thread refer to making contributions "before filing." My question is whether this really means the filing deadline or actual filing of a return? If it means April 15, can I make my additional contribution for 2007 and file an amended return?

Yes. The issue is the due date, not the actual return filing. The potential problem is trying to make a contribution after April 15 without actually securing an extension to file.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.