Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceBrown Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23026  
Subject: Re: Board Value? Date: 12/24/2001 7:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
I find it very interesting to look at the day's discussion so far. Let me preface this by saying I wasn't here when DB was, although his name sounds familiar, so I've probably seen him on other fool boards.

Cubby, for a little taste of DbPhoenix and his educational value, it is very easy for you to dig back through the past couple of years of posts to read some of his quality content. If you've got the time, it's all there for you.

But all the "this board has gone down hill", "I rarely visit anymore" talk is stupid. If you rarely visit, then why is it that as soon as "db" is brought up, you all come out of the woodwork?

Because DbPhoenix is that good. The level of play and thought was raised during his presence.

I have no idea why he left, or who or what led up to it, but no value? Just picking other people's brains on what candidates they're presently looking at is extremely beneficial. To be honest, probably 3/4 of the stocks brought up here, I look at, and wouldn't personally buy, for one reason or another, but what value can you place on having lots of people looking for possible candidates, instead of just you yourself looking?

Being able to run a candidate through all the criteria outlined in CANSLIM is not rocket science, but it does take an understanding of the book as well as a little bit of time to run all the numbers and plug the possible candidate(s) into a template. In other words, there are no shortcuts. In the end we are better off doing that work on our own instead of relying on others "brain picking" and "stock tips" to lead us to any kind of promised land. Yet, it is surprising how few will even take the time to do the exercise - or even take the time to read the book. When the board rolls over into the supposed "brain picking" and "stock tip" suggestion party without an educational focus on what exactly is a candidate and what are the qualifications of that candidate, you easily notice the difference in what the board has evolved into from previous times.

It would be nice to see candidates mentioned in some sort of a manner that includes each of the criteria of CANSLIM outlined in the post before anyone asks the question "What do you guys think?" or "Any comments?". Yes, it takes work. Isn't that the entire point? Because in the end, we have to teach ourselves the CANSLIM strategy if that is a strategy we are going to use for the purchase of a stock. Why not learn it to the best of one's abilities and focus on the fundamentals of the strategy? Fine to ask about a particular stock, but why not do the leg work and at the very least present it within all the criteria of CANSLIM? Even if the stock is not a CANSLIM candidate, it's educational to get feedback from others on the board as to why it isn't and how we can use that information in future screening of stocks as we look for candidates.

A lot of friction developed because the obvious focus of staying on the educated path of learning and applying CANSLIM on this board was met with desires for other strategies to be "mixed" into the discussion. So, other boards were designated for those "mixed" strategies to keep the focus here on CANSLIM only for learning and application process while the "mixed" ideas could be discussed on other venues. Not because any strategy was "better" than another, simply for the task of keeping this board focused on the learning process of one particular strategy that does have a learning curve and takes time. Yet, the friction continued and the board became what it is today - unfortunately. A lot of "Check out this ticker symbol and what do you think?" No C. No A. No N. No S. No L. No I. No M. Just the ticker symbol and "where should I buy?"

Because of that, you have seen a string of recent posts from Fool members that particpated in the board back "when" so to speak in support of DbPhoenix and his contributions of keeping the discussion focused. It's easy to point fingers in a lot of directions, but all of that energy would best be served at better presentation and focused discussion on CANSLIM strategy as well as candidates presented with all of the criteria spelled out in some sort of a template. I imagine if that trend suddenly developed on this board, we would see a lot of visits from quite a few former posters on this board who know the strategy quite well and would be able to help out on some of the finer points and questions that are being raised.

BB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement