No. of Recommendations: 2
I first called Vanguard and the "indirect rollover" check is what he advised after a lenghty discussion. I currently reside in England. Permanent Portfolio told me "While we truly wish to continue serving your investment needs, unfortunately, for the reasons stated above, we would like you to consider transferring or redeeming your shares". They broke up with me.

Well, if Vanguard won't do initiate a trustee-to-trustee transfer, and you want to move the account to Vanguard, then I guess you are stuck with getting the check. You need to get the check to the new trustee within 60 days of when it's received, or you will miss the deadline, and it will all be considered a distribution to you. Therefore, in addition to ensuring that any/all dividends and other distributions will be included in the check, I would urge you to document the timing on all of the step of the process - like when you initiate the request for the check, when check is dated, when you receive the check, when you send it to Vanguard, etc. You should use a trackable form of mailing for anything you send, and if possible, request that when you are being sent something, request that the sender also use a trackable form.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement