UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127387  
Subject: Re: Weird landscape lighting issue Date: 10/10/2012 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I fixed it!! Although I don't know exactly how :)

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what might have been wrong, how it might have happened, and a last safety question.

I used the multimeter and detected voltage at the socket on an earlier lamp, so I moved to the first broken one and, unsurprisingly, didn't detect any there. So I untaped and pulled apart the pinch connector at that light, stuck the meter in the holes the pinch connector had made and, surprisingly, got a reading!

I thought it was weird that I would get voltage on the line there but yet all the following ones weren't... Wait a minute, now they're all on! I then plugged the pinch connector back in and now they're all on. So something about the way that connector was plugged in was shorting out the remainder of the line.

Next, I did do one thing recently that was different then ever before and I'm wondering if its related. That is, I used my new (first) leaf blower. I had used it once before actually but only for 5 to 10 minutes. Last weekend I used it for a while to clear the whole front lawn. Is there any chance that amount of power could have harmed the bulbs? The evidence against it is that it's actually a different set of outlets, which is on a different switch inside the house, on a different bank of switches in different rooms. So they may not even be on the same breaker.

Is it worth connection the bulbs/timer to an outdoor surge protector? Or is this highly unlikely?

Lastly, the bulb I pulled out when I went to pick up new ones definitely said 18W, so that's what I bought to replace it. Many of the others were rubbed out/faded, and they're all gone now anyway. However, looking at it today I noticed that the timer box says its rated for 120W, but I now have 9 18W buls or 160W on it. Is this a danger? Or just less than optimal? If its just un-optimal I'll probably leave it be because it looks fine to me. But if its a safety issue or I risk damaging the system, I'll obviously go get lower wattage ones.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement