Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57232  
Subject: Re: Cat's Lucky 13 Date: 4/26/2013 9:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I found my 'soliloquy'.

But in the process of hunting through a vast number of posts from that time, 13 years ago -and also rediscovering that I myself hadn't turned up on the QS board until awhile later when I had been already struggling with the quit for a couple of months - there were oh so many regulars on the board back then - contributing 50 to 100 or more postings every single day! On May 8 2000 there were 183 messages! Where did everybody go? Becca, Gayle, Khalou, Damy, Mason, Deannda, Mark, Grace, Crazylegs, Hyakunen - and so many more. Helen is still here sometimes, Lumpy chimes in, Elliott has been steady, Verna and Shelley weren't here yet, but sadly I guess once the quit feels permanent, most folks move on, It's too bad, because I know we are all still friends in a truly unique way, - we have all suffered, in varying degrees perhaps, but we have all shared the same peculiar torment that those who never smoked at all will never comprehend. It would have been fun to stay in touch. Not many newbies these days to prompt folks to come to the rescue. Maybe the TMFers who hoped to quit have done it, and the rest don't intend to (???)

Anyway, this was my contribution to the effort 13 years ago, and I had letters from two doctors asking for permission to copy and post it in their waiting rooms, - which really pleased me no end!

To smoke or not to smoke - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The stings and coughs of outrageous chemicals,
Or to take arms against a sea of poisons,
And by opposing, cleanse them. To live, to smoke
No more; And by not smoking to say we end the
Heartache and the thousand unnatural shocks
That lungs are heir to. 'Tis a notion wise,
Devoutly to be willed. To live our life,
To sleep, perchance to dream, (ay, there's the rub!
For in that quitters sleep what dreams may come
When we have crushed the chains of nicotine)
Does give us pause. There's the haunting
That makes calamity of so long habit.
For who would bear the clinging tars of smoke,
The noxious fumes, the pure man's pity,
The shame of despis'd glances, the cost of it,
The risk to all our friends, and the spurns
That stubborn smokers shrink from constantly,
When we ourselves could our sweet freedom gain
With one firm promise. Who would coffins dare,
To choke and gasp in the tainted fog,
But that the dread of having no Old Friend ,
No always-constant-salve from which
No smoker finds rebuke, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those toxic sins
Than fly to courage that we know not of.
Inhaling has made cowards of us all
And thus the plaintive cry of resolution
Is muddied o'er with the pale cast of fear,
And exercises of great pith and stamina,
For this small fault, too often go undone
And bruise the name of action.

catford-on-avon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement