Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LAPropDoc Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 69  
Subject: Re: First time on site Date: 9/17/2003 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I found The Motley fool book last week in a secound hand book shop.
I like what I have read so far but i am not sure if what is being taught (i.e the 2,2,3,4,5 rule) in the book is relavant to New Zealand stocks or will i have to buy USA stocks. If I do have to buy USA stocks how do I go about it from over here. Your comments would be appreciated.

Let me echo Bogey's welcome. I hope you find the Motley Fool as rewarding a place as I have for the last four years. You can learn an incredible amount from the people you meet, not just on investing.

Bogey is also correct, after more research the method used in Beating the Dow were found to not have a high enough edge over the market, and over index funds, to compensate for the cost associated with buying stocks.

Its worth noting that the methodology of using criteria to identify outperforming stocks is still valid, and research continues on the Mechanical Investing Board.

Mechanical Investing (or MI) is a type of quantitative investing using computers data bases to identify criteria that winning stocks in the past had, and then to identify current companies which have the same criteria. We've come up with several hundred stratagies, or what we call "screens" that identify different types of companies, from tame value stocks to high flying risky stocks.

If you lean towards this type of investing, you can begin by looking at this introductory post:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16830804
while eighteen months out of date, it still will get you started. Feel free to post any questions you might have to the board, we love newcomers) or email me direct (reply to post, but unclick "post this reply to the boards", click "e-mail this reply to the author")

You should also take the time to read the past 200 or so recent posts to the board to get a feel for the spirit and temperment of the MI Community. Not all boards are the same, and we try to maintain a bit of courtesy on the MI Board. It will also get you familiar with some of the terminology we use. Evey style has their abbreviations.

I'm also in the process of revising a 180 page beginner's guide to MI that I did several years ago, and am posting the rough drafts of each chapter as I complete them, on my own discussion board. Lesson One is here:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19124345

As for investing as a foreigner in US markets, while I don't know specifics, I do know many people do, and any broker, either locally or on the web, should be able to give you information.

hth,
doc
emailed and posted
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement