Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Amphian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3723  
Subject: Re: What do you say? Date: 7/11/2001 2:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I get the same thing when someone asks me if I caught some show on TV last night. "I don't watch TV." "<blank stare> What do you do for entertainment?" "Read books on comparative religion and quantum physics." "<head shake> <edge-away>"

LOL! This is much the same reaction I get. I've never owned a TV. (Well, someone gave me broken one once. I never did figure out what I was supposed to do with it.) My roommate owns one, and I watched Star Trek Voyager while it was still on and a few minutes of this or that if I caught it in passing, but much of it is the intellectual equivalent of junk food. I have about a hundred things on my list of things I'd rather be doing - like hanging out on message boards. ;-)

But I also don't feel the need to proclaim my chosen path to everyone who asks, so I feel some evasion can be appropriate. Some may say this is not being true to oneself, but I see it more as protective camouflage - is the chameleon being untrue to itself when it changes color to match its surroundings? No, it's still a chameleon, only avoiding potentially hostile situations.

I grew up in a small, conservative, overwhelmingly Catholic area, from which I escaped after 12 years of Catholic school. I know all about camouflage. I think people need to do what makes them comfortable. I now live in a big city and can get a new job fairly easily, so I partly tell the truth to avoid having to remember what I said before. I would not hesitate to lie or mislead if I were in a situation where I felt threatened or uncomfortable.

In fact, back in high school when I was trying to avoid being confirmed as a Catholic, I lied and told them I was considering Lutheranism, figuring that they would accept that much better than the truth, which was that I was interested in Buddhism at the time. I think the fact that I spent so many confusing years hiding and trying to find the sacred in a religion that did not fit me at all makes me disinclined to hide now.

Amphian
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement