Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19729  
Subject: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/3/2012 8:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I do understand (to a limited extent) the need that some people have to remain in touch with their friends and followers at all times. It is simply a new way of living, and each generation changes rules.

However, even the most addicted texters and tweeters may have noticed that there are times and places where texting, tweeting and calling are out of place. And if they do not understand the rules, they are generally written out and handed to them when they enter a church or symphony hall or other venue.

So there is really no excuse for this bride.

http://www.popgive.com/2011/10/bride-texting-during-her-wedd...

And right in front of the minister, too, who managed to pull himself together and continue with what he was saying.(I bet he went home that day and told his wife that A) the younger generation was getting more difficult to understand every day and B) he gave that marriage no chance.

I am sure that if the bride's father spoke to her about it later, she stared at him and said, "but Daddy, it might have been something important."

The list of things that were more important than her marriage is fairly limited. I can think of a few.

"Your first husband died six months ago. You are not a bigamist."

"The FBI is waiting at the reception to arrest you for being a domestic terrorist."

"Your new husband is wanted in six states for murdering his previous wives for their insurance. Do you have a gun permit?"

But as I said, the list is limited.

Do the rest of you think this marriage has a chance? And can you think of other important messages that would warrant this rudeness?

Nancy
interview tomorrow. Fifteen minutes. Place is an hour away, and will involve telling union members what their benefits will be. But I can stop at Bean's on the way back.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17946 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/3/2012 11:49 PM
Recommendations: 0
Do the rest of you think this marriage has a chance? And can you think of other important messages that would warrant this rudeness?

Depends on the husband. He may be just as clueless.

I didn't think of it as simply rude. It was completely disrespectful to her family, the people at her wedding, her intended and the minister. It was mind boggling that she'd have a phone in her bra during her wedding. Obviously it wasn't as important an occasion to her as one would think it should be. But I know someone who would do something like this. She's married to my ex-DN/sperm donor for my DD. They've been married for at least 20 years and my daughter won't even speak to her father because of his wife, yet he won't leave her.

I once went to a wedding where the bride chomped on chewing gum all the way down the aisle and through the whole service. It looked just as cheesy.

interview tomorrow. Fifteen minutes. Place is an hour away, and will involve telling union members what their benefits will be. But I can stop at Bean's on the way back.

Yippeee!!! All digits crossed. (What's Bean's? Is that a good thing? I hope it's a celebration.)

MOI

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17947 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 12:12 AM
Recommendations: 1
http://www.llbean.com/

Nancy
these westerners.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17948 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 8:23 AM
Maybe bride & intended are texting each other (let no thought or feeling remain unexpressed for even a moment)...

"Is this cool or what?"

"No! B-O-R-I-N-G."

Say, perhaps storing small items in one's bodice is making a comeback ;-)

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17949 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 10:03 AM
Nancy

Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Andrea

Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17950 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 10:51 AM
Re: Interview

Good - Best Of Everything - Hope you get it AND that it's great.

A/L

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17951 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 2:03 PM
She looked almost disappointed as she tucked the phone away. Maybe she was hoping that the cute guy from work was suddenly going to declare his undying love for her?

I'll give it through the holiday season. Divorce is on her calendar for next spring. In time for the cute guy from work to come to his senses and realize that he really, truly, loves her!

LWW
figuring if she's going be delusional, might as well go all the way :0/

Good luck with the interview! Let us know how it goes. I wish you lived down here, we're currently trying to hire a case manager and it's been slow going.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17952 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 3
Job turned out to be selling life insurance to union members. I'm not a sales type, and the salary is dependent on commissions. For someone who is good at sales, it would be great, because there's no cold calling; they work from cards submitted by people who are interested. But definitely not a job for me.

The trip to Bean's, however, netted a pair of jeans, a pullover, two turtlenecks and a winter coat.

Nancy

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17953 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 3:42 PM
The "STOP" sign in the background was oddly appropriate.

...not a job for me.

Best of luck with the next one.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17954 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 4:08 PM
Bummer about the sales job. But nice catch on the Beans trip!

LWW

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17955 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
But nice catch on the Beans trip!

Finding the coat was the great catch. I am picky about winter coats. Saleswomen have been known to flee the scene in tears when I list the requirements.

1) it must be warm.
2) it must be knee length or above (people who run up and down subway stairs will understand this)
3) it must either button or, if it has a zipper, must have a double zipper so it doesn't interfere with running up and down subway stairs
4) it must be a reasonably subdued color and style, not something neon-fuschia designed by someone on ecstasy
5) it must have an attached hood. Not a button-on or zip-on hood, but one that is permanently attached.

It's the last one that's the problem. The saleswomen beam at me during requirements 1 through 4, then panic when I explain that number 5 is the deal-breaker.

So I came home with this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75225?feat=504728-GN2&pag...

You'll notice it cost a lot of money. I'm willing to pay for something that meets my specifications.

Nancy

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17956 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 4:47 PM
Ooh, lovely! I could definitely go with something like that. Unfortunately, down here we only wear them a couple of times a season.

That just reminded me, though. I need to call our local motorcycle shop and see about getting a leather vest before the weekend. We have a mission in Houston on Saturday and have to be on the road before 7:00 a.m.

LWW

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17957 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/4/2012 6:02 PM
I am never without my phone. I'm here, on FB, emailing, and texting through a good part of my awake time. I've even been known to wake up in the middle of the night to answer emails.

And on Saturday, when I walk down the aisle, I will NOT have my phone on my person. And not just because I don't have the cleavage to hide it in. (And if I did have it on me, I still wouldn't be ignoring my own ceremony in favor of a text.) There are limits.

Possible excuse (because I'd really like to find one for her behavior):
Her MoH was late and lost, and the wedding couldn't be postponed any longer, and she was responding to the expected panicked text with directions. Okay, still not a *good* excuse. But at least somewhat understandable as something other than pure cluelessness.

Frydaze1

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17958 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/5/2012 5:45 PM
So I came home with this:

Nice. I approve.

You'll notice it cost a lot of money. I'm willing to pay for something that meets my specifications.

Actually, it's less than I expect to pay for winter coats. You done good!

MOI

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17969 of 19729
Subject: Re: I give this marriage no chance. Date: 10/10/2012 3:55 AM
if my neighbor was not already married, I would have guessed it was her.

She is a constant texter.
her phone never leaves her hand - I am amazed she gets anything done.
If i am in her home for five minutes, while we are talking she sends receives at least 10 texts....during meals, while in bed...All the time.

But a wedding dress, there is a reason there are no pockets, getting married is kind of a *job-for-a-day* and there is nothing other than dress/hair/makeup required for that job.
(so says she who has never been married but attended plenty of weddings and over 200 receptions)

peace & step away from being connected
t

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement