Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4337  
Subject: Re: Hotelsone.com Date: 10/14/2012 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I googled motels in Rolla MO cause I couldn't remember the name of the place I stayed at last time. A
motel came up called sunset that looked like the previous place and price was the same $50. I booked it. Total was $56+. Imagine my surprise when I got to Sunset and the price on the sign was $36.99. When I asked about it the clerk said the extra fee was for going through the website instead of calling the motel. She said I went through expedia and the paperwork she gave me showed expedia with the lower price. She gave me the phone number for expedia which wasthe number for Magnuson Hotels. When I looked up number for HotelsOne the woman called the clerk who refused to cancel the room. I asked HotelsOne rep if she cld help me and she hung up. Wen I called back the clerk gave me another number to call that had a list of other numbers to call.

Different pricing for booking directly with a hotel does happen quite a bit. You will also find the same rooms priced differently based on when you book them, how full the hotel is, and many other factors. You can book a room two weeks out only to find out that they are selling the same room for 25% less the same day. You will also see the exact opposite.

While I don't agree with the way they handled the issue by hanging up on you, I'm having trouble with who was calling whom and who was providing information. What matters is what happened when you called HotelsOne directly from the number on your reservation or from the one listed their web site.

I would recommend you look at the "fine print" on your HotelsOne reservation. I suspect that you booked a prepaid room rate that had at least a 24-48 cancellation policy. In addition, if you tried to do this after 6:00pm on the night of your stay, most hotels have already charged for the room. In those cases, you normally can't cancel at all, no matter who handled the reservation.

Before a hotel stay, I'll book a reservation with a policy allowing same day cancellation, before 6:00pm. If I am not happy with the rate, then I will continue to search for a better rate, including calling the hotel directly. If I find a better rate, I'll cancel the first one. Sometimes I get a better rate, sometimes my original rate is the best.

Sometimes I am happy with the rate I got and don't bother with trying to find the "best" rate. If I show up at the hotel and they have a cheaper rate, so be it. I still think I had a good deal when I booked the room, otherwise I would have already canceled it or tried to get a better rate. Don't get me wrong, I'll inquire about the cheaper rate with the hotel clerk, but if they won't honor it, I'm fine with that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement