Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I got a 1098-T Tuition Payments Statement showing tuition was paid by my employer to a local university for a graduate-level class over the past year. It was a work-related and work-sponsored program, but I am not considered a degree candidate. Is anyone familiar with this, and do I have to include this as income? IRS's info on this seems sparce.

Thanks a lot.


The form is sent by colleges to the student who is enrolled. It represents the cost of tuition which may qualify for either the Lifetime learning credit or the Hope credit.

If your employer paid the tuition for you and the education was a form of "continuing education" related to your job then you should just ignore the form.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.