UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: I got it! Date: 7/3/2002 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
All of my hard paying off my CC debt, and cleaning up my credit reports has finally paid off! Yesterday, I got my approval letter for the Citibank Upromise Platinum Select Mastercard (probably sounds better than it is). Woohoo! Now, by no means is this the best card out there, but I got it for a specific reason. For every single thing I buy with this card, Citi contributes 1% to my Upromise account. AND, if I buy something from a participating company or brand, I get to double-dip, and take their contribution too! This will make paying for my kid(s?) college much easier. Especially since we don't have any kids yet! I have at least an 18-year head start!

Here's a link to the Upromise CC page on Citibank's site:
http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cardserv/upromise/index.htm

Here's a link to the Upromise website:
http://www.upromise.com
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132562 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 7/3/2002 2:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
sock

Don't forget you have to register that card at the site. You can also register other cards and get the rebates from participating companies. Exxon ranks #2 on my donation list, second only to my Citi card. Have my speedpass linked to that card so I double dip when I get gas at Exxon or Mobil. They also have a grocery program where you register your store card and get rebates on certain grocery items. Also have my parent's AT&T registered. Nice donation when mom calls her cousins in Poland. Now I have to study which of the 529 plans they have available is the best from my point of view. Broke the $50 minimum for investing awhile back but been to lazy to research the 529s lately. Glad I was because with the market drop will get more for the measly $100 or so I have to put in there. Good luck with the card and if you lie up to that name it will only be a matter of time before you will be using those rebates <G>

herb

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132565 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 7/3/2002 2:35 PM
Recommendations: 0
Don't forget you have to register that card at the site.
Yeah, I know. I have my account number, but I need the expiration date to be able to register it. As soon as the card comes!....

You can also register other cards and get the rebates from participating companies.
Already taking advantage!

Have my speedpass linked to that card so I double dip when I get gas at Exxon or Mobil.
I'm waiting for my Speedpass to come in the mail.

They also have a grocery program where you register your store card and get rebates on certain grocery items.
Doing that too. My Genuarids card is still "Being Validated" - seems to be taking a while, but Super G and Giant are up and running.

Thanks for the encouragement! Oh, did you print off your 20% off at Borders coupon yet?

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132572 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 7/3/2002 4:23 PM
Nope Didn't do that but i don't usually shop Borders anyway. Buy my books at online shops and auctions. usually way cheaper xcept when I'm buying first editions for my collections. Last one I bid on finally went for $688, way out of my range

herb

Author: ToySoldiers Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274338 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/20/2008 9:54 PM
Sockwonder,

So after 16+ years, how has the card worked out for you? After I pay off my credit debt in a few months, I will be applying for this same CC. Our local grocery store (Hy-Vee) sponsers the Upromise program too but we are researching generic brands vs the list Upromise sponsers.

Save 20% on generic brand vs %4-%10 savings on Upromise.

TTYL Mike

Author: ToySoldiers Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274339 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/20/2008 9:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
I wish this forum allowed editing of posted messages. *grin*... I ment to say 6+ years using the card. On a side note... our first child was born on 3 June 2008.

Author: BklynBorn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274340 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/20/2008 10:15 PM
ToySoldiers wrote:

our first child was born on 3 June 2008.

~~~~~~~~~~

mazel tov!

be on the lookout for credit card offers in her/his name... be sure to shred.

8-)

bb

Author: ToySoldiers Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274341 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/20/2008 11:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up. We shread everything remotely financial or personal.

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274342 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/21/2008 4:32 AM
I'm not SockWonder but I like my UPromise Mastercard. You get 1% back on everything, not just the UPromise items. I funnel as much as I can through it, including my recent purchase of the Kroger gift cards, utilities, and rent. The savings are slow but steady and have doubled the amount I am able to put into The Wombat's 529 plan.

Minxie

Author: ToySoldiers Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274345 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/21/2008 2:25 PM
Hi Minxie,

Thanks for the feedback. I was struggling with getting the Upromise Mastercard or Chase Freedom (3% cash back). My wife is excited about the Upromise program so this makes it low maintenance in terms of send money to point A to B. She's the one who told me about the program. She's been using the program long before we met and our first child was born. Great program.

The only other CC I'm gonna use is the Pentagon Credit Union Visa Platinum Gas Cash Reward (5% no limit). Beats the Discover Gas Card hands down... or any other that I've read about.

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274351 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/21/2008 6:29 PM
I was struggling with getting the Upromise Mastercard or Chase Freedom (3% cash back).

If the Chase Freedom gives you 3% back and you are disciplined enough to put the rebate into your 529 account, I would go that route. You can register the Chase Freedom with your UPromise account and still get the UPromise savings; the UPromise Mastercard is a separate 1% from Citibank for using their card. You also register your store loyalty cards, debit cards, etc.

I like the UPromise Mastercard because the rebates are automatically sent to my UPromise account which then automatically sends it to my son's 529 account. I never have to think about it, which makes the savings pretty painless.

I mentioned the Kroger gift cards because they have one of the "Tax Rebate Sales" until July 31st. They will give you 10% more than you buy; I used my UPromise Mastercard to buy these cards so I got 10% in free money to use and 1% into my son's 529. Same with rent, utilities, etc.; the more money you can funnel through the card of choice, the more they will rebate you.

Don't forget to pay it off each month, though, or your interest will negate your rebate. Oddly enough, this is the card on which I have a 6.9% interest rate; I expected it to be more being as it is a rebate card but with a variable rate, it has really stayed pretty low. It's not really a concern if you're paying it off monthly but if you get caught with an expensive month... ;-)

Minxie

Author: adumbsnail Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274526 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/26/2008 11:47 AM
The Upromise card has been great - I still use it every day. It has paid thousands toward my student loans, and I still highly recommend it.

Author: DizChick Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274695 of 308882
Subject: Re: I got it! Date: 6/30/2008 7:58 AM
I wish this forum allowed editing of posted messages. *grin*... I ment to say 6+ years using the card. On a side note... our first child was born on 3 June 2008.

Congratulations! I'm sure you're allowed typos, especially when sleep deprived due to a newborn.

DizChick

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement