UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: piggyla One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885297  
Subject: I got my inheritance-LBMM Date: 4/29/2003 5:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 352
Hi all. I have been wanting to share my 'inheritance' with you but since I am kind of shy so it takes long meditation on my part and courages to write.

In 1980, my parents took 8 of their 10 children (2 married daughters stayed behind) and made a daring escape out of Vietnam in a little boat that ran about 10km per hour on a 7 days journey to Hong Kong.

We settled down in US 8 months later in a very small town. My parents were uneducated and the only jobs that they could work were cleaning. Their combined incomes was like 10k per year to support 8 children with the age ranging from 5 to 22.

10 of us lived in a (rented)2 bedrooms, 1 bath. We were happy to have food on the table even though it is consist mainly of rice, chicken and veggie. We got the clothes donated to us from church and we giggled at the thought of bringing the 60's fashion into the 80's. For us, LBOM was a piece of cake since we were fortunated enough to be alive and didn't perished at sea. Heck! We didn't even know that we were below poverty line.

There were several occasions that we had to wear wet clothes to school in the winter month because we didn't have a dryer and not enough clothes to rotate throughout school days.

My parents had no debt except mortgage. They bought their clothes at garage sale and we never eat out. During the winter, I had to use the toilet seat as my table to do homework at 5 in the morning because that's the only room with heater on since the house was so cold that the skin on my hand crack without glove and can't write legibly with glove on.

Fast forward 6 years I entered college and worked on my pharmacy degree on student loan and scholarship.

Fast forward 5 more years, from poverty I rise up to middle class American income.

In 1997, my father passed away just 1 year before his retirement and he left my mother a paid for house worth 25k and 20k in IRA. It's certainly not much to live on so my mother sold her house and moved in with my sister.

The experiences from poverty made me rich. Although I don't want my children to experiences such richness but I am very grateful how the experiences enrich my life. LBMM become second nature to me.

Currently, we are (my husband and 2 children)having a very comfortable life and saving 80% of our net income without resorting to wet clothes and 2 decaded late fashion.

I visited VN 20 years later and found out that most of my friends are selling noodle for $2 per day. Had my parents didn't make that daring escaped, that would be my fate right now. I would not speak English, know how to use a telephone let's alone have access to the internet.

Thanks to you all Americans for welcoming us to US and support us thru school (paying taxes). For me, paying taxes is a duty that I look upon as a previlege. Without that opportunity, I won't be where I am right now. In my life, I have never thought that I am so rich that I have indoor toilet, shower, oven, microwave oven, dishwasher, shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, fridge, food in the pantry etc....

We were the recipients of love and kindness when Christmas come around many years ago when we were poor. I figure the less I spend on myself, the more I'll have to spend on others so LBMM is a way of life that lead to peace of mind.

Cheers to the Americans.
Thanh

Sorry that my grammar isn't that great and I am trying to learn everyday
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement