No. of Recommendations: 64
I got to thinking about this title of, "Millionaire." There are plenty of people who have a million bucks slip through their fingers quite readily. Really high salary people like Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, etc. They live their lives according to how much "stuff" they have. "Whoever dies with the most toys wins?" I heard a Minister say one time that when you are laying on your death bed you won't be thinking about how many Mercedes you've owned but "who have I loved and who loves me."

I'm not sure being a "millionaire" is a good measure of success, either financial or in terms of quality of life. Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin who said, "A penny earned is a penny saved?" Commercials that say, "Buy now and save!" Can you really buy something and save money? Isn't something worth only as much as what people are willing to pay for it? If car companies have to beg us to buy new cars with incentives isn't that really saying that their products are overpriced to start with? Is having a house full of crap a measure of success?

I'm a millionaire in the sense that I am really good at having a quality life with a relativelly modest income. I eat good, travel, live in a nice home, and sleep in a bed at night. I've been to Jamaica, Mexico, and Canada, and gone on a cruise. What else is there? I have never made more than $28,000/yr in my life yet I've managed to accumulate enough to retire at 48 and have a decent life. I've got a good wife and have been happily married for 27 years. So in my estimation I'm a "millionaire" no matter what anybody else says.
- Art
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement