UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Borisincincy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5162  
Subject: Re: No more than 5% in one stock? Date: 12/24/2009 11:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I guess I don't have a specified number range of companies I try to target as "in my best interest" meaning focused enough to maximize my return and diverse enough to provide some protection from the unforeseen.

For me, it really depends on the companies I am in at the time and how comfortable I am with each of them individually and as a group.

As an example, if I were to be heavily tilted toward Blue Chips and/or quality dividend payers, I may well be comfortable with as few as 5 or so. If I want to be a bit more on the high reward / higher risk side I look to spread out that risk over more companies. Higher the risk, the more diverse.

Currently I am sitting at 14 companies, and while many of those are on the higher risk side, I feel very comfortable that I am aware of what may happen to these companies if something doesn't go according to hoyle and am prepared to accept that risk.

I also have to ability to watch each of them every day and multiple times a day. Thats the best I can expect from myself. Of course that is no guarantee that something won't occur after hours or pop up on the screen without warning. By my definition, thats why I see them as higher risk.

Mathematically I would guess there is a correct answer to this question, but for me its a very personal choice that has to match the individual.

Boris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement