UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Mark12547 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Re: What is a home theater? Date: 11/3/2012 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I guess I missed having a home theater by 3.1!

My main viewing room has a 46" 1080p (native mode) 120Hz LCD HD TV with these attached devices: blu-ray player (1080p HDMI), Roku Netflix Player (720p HDMI), DVD player (480i/480p component video set to 480p), and a VCR (480i composite video).

My bedroom isn't so advanced, having a 32" 720p (native mode) LED TV with these attached devices: a Comcast HD DVR and a VCR/DVD player.

In both rooms I just use the TV speakers.

If I wanted to reproduce the theater experience, I would need to do a few things:

1. Have no control when a feature starts, and make sure I have to walk down a long hallway, at least a hundred feet, to get to the bathroom without being able to pause the feature, so I have to miss at least 3 minutes of the feature for a 1-minute bathroom break.

2. Spill beverages, pop corn, and maybe some gum on the floor so it is sticky and just a bit smelly.

3. Lock my TV volume at just about ringing level without ability to reduce the volume to comfort level.

4. Tell neighbors to crank up their TVs so that in the quieter parts of what I am watching what they are watching is clearly heard through the walls.

5. Have people talking during the show around me, and have a few smart phones in front of me with bright screens be clearly visible throughout the feature.

6. Have people walk in front of me at critical parts of the movie.

7. Have bright exit signs illuminating the screen and have the house lights refuse to go dark, so any scene in the shadows would be completely washed out by other lighting in the room. (I tell you, when I watched "House of Wax" at a local theater, 3/4ths of the film was washed out by the lights in the theater, most shots being a green haze from the exit signs instead of whatever the Director wanted us to see.)

8. Be forced to watch all commercials at the start of any program I watch, after having to wait 15 to 30 minutes before watching and not being able to do anything useful 15 to 30 minutes afterwards to simulate the drive to/from the theater.

Even with a poor-man's stereo instead of Dolby 5.1, I find most features are more enjoyable at home than at the local theaters.

However, I don't call my home setups "home theaters".
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement