Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I guess I never really understood what an UGMA was. Now that all of you have made it
clear that it is the kids money, I understand. Now let me be sure I have this right. I want to either
purchase shares of stock or get another mutual fund. In order to do that, I must sell the shares of
the other fund and pay whatever gains have occurred (using the kid's rates).]]

If you want to get out of your current mutual fund, I believe that your only "out" would be to sell the shares. If there is any gain or loss on the shares, you'd need to file a tax return for the kids. If there is a gain, there may be some tax to pay. If there is a loss, it may generate a capital loss to carry forward for future years.

But I would certainly suggest that you read more about the "kiddie tax" rules in the Taxes FAQ area as a starting point. Then you'll have a little bit more of an idea how the tax structure works for kids under 14 years old. If all of your kids are age 14 or over, simply let me know and I'll give you a rundown of their rules.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement