UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1488  
Subject: Re: Howdy Date: 5/27/2004 12:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I guess I would be included to get the mortgate. Here's why (in no particular order):

You said you wanted to save for college for your young kids, that means you have a long investment horizon. We don't know what the stock market will do in that time, but its almost certain to be better than the cost of your mortgage.

Money is cheap right now. We always hear about the geniuses who loaded up on 14% bonds in the 1980s. I think in 10 or 15 years we'll be hearing about the geniuses who borrowed lots of money at 5 or 6% at the turn of the century.

Diversification. People would never recommend you put all your money in one stock, but they will recommend you put all your money in one house. I think its only prudent not to have any one assett be outsized.

Opportunity Cost. Often overlooked but it is a real cost. You don't know what the future holds. Being able to take advantage of future opportunities is valuable.

Time value of money. When you kids go to college your mortage payment will be so small it will be laughable. It won't be significant. If you buy your house outright, you are using expensive dollars now to save cheap dollars later. Worth keeping in mind.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement