Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1206  
Subject: Re: What is a Binary Option or Digital Option Date: 9/22/2012 12:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I guess it may seem that binary options are simpler. But the main problem is if what you are betting on isn't a binary (on/off) type of bet, then you lose it all if you are just slightly wrong, and you don't benefit additionally if you are really right.

So a real binary bet, like, will Obama or Romney win the election, there's only two possible results (barring freak extremes) so where Obama wins by one electoral vote or a landslide, doesn't matter to the bet.

But betting on what the value of Google will be, is on a sliding scale. A binary option might say, will it be above or below $735 on January 18, 2013 (it's now $734). But Google's value will slide around that mark with many possible results; it might be $735.01, or $800, or $600.

Someone today bet it will be above $735 by buying the traditional option call GOOG130119C00730000 and paying $38.20 for the bet. Now if they're wrong, they lose it all, but if they are right, then it matters how much. If Google goes to $800, they get $70. If Google goes to $900, they get $170. If Google goes to $1000, they get $270, etc. That's traditional options.

With binary, you might bet to receive $100 if Google will be above $730, and the privilege might cost you, I estimate, $58. (I don't know if this price actually is available, but keep reading.) If Google is $731, $800, $900, $1000, whatever, you get a flat $100.

Simpler, but limited.

You could accomplish nearly the same thing by buying traditional calls right below it and then selling calls at the price mark (This called a spread... I think?)

buy 730.00 GOOG130119C00730000 41.10
sell 735.00 GOOG130119C00735000 38.20

So to bet Google will be above $735 you'd buy for $41.10 and sell at $38.20, a difference of $2.90. If you are wrong and Google is much below $735, you'd likely lose everything. (Actually it slides between $5 and $0 at prices between $735 and $730: being slightly wrong might not hurt.) If you are right you would get the $5, and only $5. If Google shoots through the roof, you don't benefit by being really right. Paying $2.90 for a chance to win $5 would be about the same as paying $58 to win $100, that's where I'd guess the binary option market price to be.

Hope this is useful! Any criticism of my example is welcome.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement