Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I guess this was kind of a rant, and I'm sorry to hijack your thread.

Not at all - I love the discussion, and you make some great points.

My son (7) knows that if we're going to play something on the PS3, we need to prepare for 5-15 minutes of downloading updates "because it's the PS3", he says with a tone of exasperation normally reserved for someone 5 times his age. So consoles are not immune to the stuff you're talking about.

Reading your post helped crystalize a concept I had been toying with - the notion of player-centric design. It's something I tried to embrace in Frog Bog in every aspect, all the way down to the fact that as soon as you open the game for the first time, you're in the first tutorial, with no clicks required. (Why DO we make you stop at a main menu, anyway? Don't you just want to play the game?)

I think we'll start seeing more about the idea, and I think I'll take a stab at a blog post on it someday soon.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement