Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had a $1,400 business expense that I paid out of pocket in Dec. 99. I was not reimbursed for it until Jan. 2000. Using the tips on this site, I had a lot of business expenses I took in 1999 to get over the 2% ceiling. I don't have enough this year to come close.

I was all ready to add $1,400 to income, on my 2000 return, as reimbursements from employer for business expenses deducted in a prior year. However, TurboTax is telling me I shouldn't do this unless the amount is more than my 2% AGI cut off for 1999. This expense alone was not more than my 2% AGI cut off in 1999 or this year.

My take on this is that you have a taxable recovery to the extent that you received a tax benefit. Thus, if your 1999 miscellaneous itemized deductions allowed after the 2% exclusion were more than $1,400, the entire $1,400 is taxable to you in 2000. If the actual amount deductible, after the exclusion, on the Schedule A was less, that lesser amount is your taxable recovery.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.