UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xhail One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726163  
Subject: Re: How low can you go? Date: 1/14/2000 3:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I had a carrer in management where I utilized my management and engineering degrees working 80+ hours a week making about $50,000.I was keeping up with the Jones and saving nothing, stressed out.I now have two jobs where I work less than 40 hours a week total, require no college, I have weeks off, could drink on the job if I really wanted to, and have averaged about $40,000 a year with far less stress and saving $20,00 a year.This year I am in a position where my total pay will go up to about $50,000 - 60,000 through some extra consulting on the side. I plan on still living on about $10,00 a year in a major city - Chicago!I am saving for both retirement while also working on plans for my own small business.

Rent (I split a $500 2br with a roomate) is $3000 year
Utilities (my share) $600 year
Groceries (I buy buy a month at a time with a very particular, healthy meal plan) $2000 year
Entertainment/nights out/videos/etc $1500 yr
Clothing/shoes/coats $400/yr
Transpotation (old BMW I maintain and paid for) $1000/yr
Vacation $500 -1000 year depending on a short or long trip
Haircuts $0 (my girlfriend is a hairstylist)
medical/dental $250 year max avg (sometimes higher, often way lower) (no insurance-I know risky)
Misc: papers, mags, pers care, household stuff,internet etc. about $750 year

Frugal, but not cheap.Trust me it can be done,although there are those here who think it is impossible.I live a block away from Cubs park and my neighbors pay $1500 in rent.I could live on even less and save more and have .I could live in a far worse neighborhood,have more roomates, not go out or have no entertainment, and I have had years w/o a vacation, but If you are going to live on a very low budget, I believe you need some releases and relaxation and reward and not be so tight where you may get your head blown off by someone or yourself!At first it was rough, but I found a balanced life with more time do things, rewarding myself, and I guess just being content, watching the money grow. By doing this and knowing I am soon going to reach my goals has made me feel fine:-).Good luck with your dreams!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement