Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I had an after-tax funded 401k with nmy employer. This was prior to the Roth IRA opportunity. I rolled it into an IRA and then into a Roth IRA. Do I have any tax liability for it since it was funded with after-tax funds originally.

Not enough info to tell.

The rollover from 401(k) to traditional IRA creates a "basis" in the traditional IRA, which you establish in Part I of Form 8606 for the year of the rollover. The taxable part of the conversion is figured the same as any other conversion involving after-tax basis, also calculated in Part I of Form 8606.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.