UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37590  
Subject: Re: Goodbye Date: 3/23/2006 11:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 97
I had not cried yet, but as I write this, the tears are starting to flow. I love you Dad, and I will miss you. Rest in peace and go with God.
=============

BAMartin, thank you. And here's a sharp salute to your Dad. A brief web search revealed this page on your Dad. He received the Medal of Honor from President Eisenhower on October 27, 1953. See the link here:

http://www.medalofhonor.com/DavidBleak.htm

There's good picture of your Dad on the page as well.

There's an interesting post about what someone thought about your Dad's actions on this page:
http://www.fredschoeneman.com/archives/001230.html

Smacked their heads together during a bayonet charge. Now, I've been out of the loop nearly two years, but I don't remember the double head smack in unarmed combatives training...that is highspeed soldiering old-timer. Better than that though, he took out two guys hand to hand, then remembered he had a knife and used it on the next guy. Out-friggin-standing.

There's quite a bit about your Dad here:
http://inghro.state.id.us/museum/Newsletter/3rdQtr2000.htm
(Idaho History site)........including a photo of your Dad with Pres. Eisenhower. Your Dad was interviewed for some of the info there. That site also has this tidbit:

Then, in 1995, Major General John A. Dubia, Commanding General of Fort Sill Oklahoma bestowed another honor on SGT Bleak.

General Dubia owes his life to a combat Medic in Viet Nam and to express his gratitude decided to name the Ft. Sill Troop Clinic in honor of a combat medic. Special permission was obtained; April 20, 1995 was designated as SGT David B. Bleak day; and the new medical facility at Ft. Sill was named the SGT David B. Bleak Troop Medical Clinic.
And so there's your infantry. There's your medic. And there's your Sgt. Bleak -forever enshrined in the annals of Idaho's military heroes. David Bleak's medal is one of the 9 accredited to Idaho.

Your father was a true hero, and you have every right to be proud of him. I'm sure he was proud of your accomplishments as well!

Sincerely,

Yoda
*Emailed and posted*
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement