UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59181  
Subject: Re: Why aren't you working? Date: 2/9/2007 3:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I had one of those moments last night that I used to read about on That Other Board in days of yore. A Why Aren't You Working moment.

There were two issues for me: The first, obviously, was being able to afford to retire. The second, and more difficult to explain, is that I am both 1) and underachiever and 2) compulsive in some behaviors. Those would seem to be at cross purposes, and they probably are, but when I was doing computer programming, I couldn't put it down. I was the archtypical 24-hr bag-of-chips-and-a-Yoohoo type, from the 60's when it was Fortran to the 70's when I started monkeying with Basic.

I did some short-story writing in the 90's, and it was the same, I'd be up at 3AM "just putting the finishing touches" on a story, which I had put the finishing touches on four times before, at midnight, 9PM, 6PM, and so on. And sometimes (read: often) I'd be at the keyboard for 36 hours straight, bag-of-chips-and-a-YooHoo. (Coca-Cola, actually.)

I was like that in corporate America, too. I'd call the producers at the station at 2AM when I heard something I didn't like, even though it was 2AM and who the hell really cared? Then, like many, I had a bad experience with a new boss which french-fried the passion and drive, and I left.

But whatever I get into, I end up obsessing; my metal sculptures took several months out of my life - as usual at all hours of the day and night.

Retirement seems to fit me. I have a "book" which I have thought about writing for the past several years, but I fear to start it because I know I'll fall down the rabbithole, so I spend time playing with the cats, cooking the occasional dinner, and posting on the Fool boards (which I do a lot, but because they come in short bites I can take and leave - unlike "programming" or "real writing" or whatever.

I would like to write the book. I just don't want to spend the next 18 months cursing myself for giving up all the great free time I have for doing nothing, or those stupid projects around the house that I've been meaning to get to for the past 10 years.

Someday, maybe, dunno. Like I said, I'm an underachiever; been told so by every teacher I ever had, plus my parents, plus Mrs. Goofy, and others. Never bothered me much, or I'd'a worked harder, probably, but there it is.

Retirement. It's made for guys like me.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement