Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40396  
Subject: Re: "Eat Nuts, Live Longer" Date: 12/3/2013 10:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I had reported on an excellent study some time ago in which a diet high in macadamia nuts resulted in highly significant reductions of LDL and total cholesterol.

In adults, outside of the special cases of inherited syndromes and transplants, do we really still care what the cholesterol and LDL is? I think the trend, as discussed in the various statin threads, is to move beyond these surrogate markers and focus on clinically relevant end-points.

With regard to nuts, in addition to the study cited in the first post of the thread, there are at least a couple other studies showing a clinically relevant benefit. In the Adventist Health Study, individuals who consumed nuts more than four times per week had significant reductions in mortality from coronary heart disease (relative risk 0.52) and in nonfatal infarctions (relative risk 0.49) compared to those who consumed nuts less than once per week. A possible protective effect of nut consumption on risk of coronary heart disease. Fraser, et al, Arch Intern Med. 1992;152(7):1416. Similarly, in the Physicians' Health Study, men who consumed nuts two or more times per week had, when compared to men who rarely or never consumed nuts, significant reductions in total coronary deaths and sudden cardiac deaths (relative risk 0.53 and 0.70, respectively). Albert et al, Arch Intern Med. 2002;162(12):1382.

In light of the data on dark chocolate discussed earlier, the obvious next step seems to be a study of nuts covered in dark chocolate. I suspect accrual won't be difficult.

martybl
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement