Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had stock called away (a call option that I sold was exercised), and bought stock the same day
to "cover" it. Can I use the stock I bought as the shares called away for capital gains

Yes, that makes it a short term transactions. I presume you hold long term shares which you don't want to sell, which is O.K.

Can I notify my broker to select the shares I just bought as the ones I want

Yes, you have to, otherwise the oldest shares you own (FIFO) are the ones sold. Supposedly you have to get his confirmation in writing to "adequately identify" the shares you sold. Good luck!!.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.