Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had the same problem earlier this year. Even though I have substantial accounts with Fidelity, they would not accept a transfer of the IRA I inherited from my father because he did not have any accounts with them. I found Vanguard to be willing to accept the transfer. Be very clear with any firm that choose - most do not have standard forms set up for this type of transfer. Also, the firm that currently holds the IRA may not initially agree that you can transfer the asset either; I had to spend considerable time discussing IRS Pub 590 with the bank where my father had his IRA.

Good luck!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.