Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96067  
Subject: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have to root for them tonight because I want Minnesota to be on top of the NFC North but I have a really hard time when this happens. My dislike of the Cowboys goes back a long way and even in these situations I find myself cheering when whoever they're playing scores or comes up with a great defensive play.

I'm not a fan of Chicago so rooting for them to lose is not difficult usually but it's easy to root for them when they play Green Bay. Not so much when they play Detroit but cheering for them when they play the Cowboys just FEELS wrong!

For you Cowboys fans though, I'm on your side tonight.

Calabogie (surprised at the Vikings this year)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92613 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm a Cowboys fan from my days living in Irving about a 1 mile from Texas Stadium back in the 70's...

having said that I can't stand Jerry Jones and I love it when they show the press box when the Cowboys are getting beat and he looks like he just swallowed spoiled catfish...

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92614 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 10:20 AM
Recommendations: 1
Bears will win tonight in a low-scoring, sloppy game dominated by the defenses.

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92615 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 10:26 AM
The only way I could ever stomach rooting for the (hack, puke) Cowboys is if it put the Steelers in the playoffs. Rooting for the Cowboys is like rooting for the Devil. And Jerry Jones should be hung.

Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92616 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 11:23 AM
dd you see the game where they panned into the press box where one of Jerry Jones gofers polished his glasses for him...this is one of the reasons most of America are Cowboy haters...

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92617 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 11:40 AM
I'm a Cowboys fan from my days living in Irving about a 1 mile from Texas Stadium back in the 70's...

I have lived here for awhile, and I am no closer to being a Cowboy fan than the day I moved here. Just.Can.Not.Do.It.

Folks in Dallas have these incredible expectations for the team every year, eventhough the team has done nothing since the mid 1990's. They seem to forget that there are over 30 other teams in the NFL vying for the same goal.

Lose a game?.....HEADS MUST ROLL!! WE ARE HORRIBLE!!

Win a game?? WE ARE SUPERBOWL BOUND!! KICK A$$!!

No sense of moderation. The the local sport radio stations just adds fuel to the fire.

Oh man, the fan base here is really annoying.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92618 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 12:08 PM
"Folks in Dallas have these incredible expectations for the team every year..."

Isn't that what the fan base of every team should be all about?
Cheer through the pain of losing, and continue giving rousing support?
As for Jerry Jones, the fan base is not "all-in" on him any more than
Redskins fans are all-in on Snyder, and Jerry Jones jokes are more
popular in Dallas than anywhere else.

If you're a fan, you're behind your team——win or lose. Why else would the
long-suffering fans of the Lions, Bucs or Bills keep going to their games?
Look at poor Calabogie. Although still bitterly depressed about all those
times Tom Landry's team knocked Bud Grant's boys out of the play-offs, he
remains in firm support of his team.

~aj

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92619 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 12:33 PM
If you're a fan, you're behind your team——win or lose. Why else would the long-suffering fans of the Lions, Bucs or Bills keep going to their games?

Excuse me. The Bucs have won a Super Bowl in this century, unlike those joke franchises in Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo, and Dallas.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92620 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 12:59 PM
Excuse me. The Bucs have won a Super Bowl in this century, unlike those joke franchises in Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo, and Dallas.

Ah, so your group of millionaires can beat up my group of millionaires, huh? Seriously, does your life really change if the Bucs go 0-26 or 16-0?

While I enjoy sports and take pleasure when the local franchises do well, it's only a game and my life will go on regardless of how they do. I don't wrap myself up in their exploits that much.

YMMV.

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92621 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 7
Ah, so your group of millionaires can beat up my group of millionaires, huh? Seriously, does your life really change if the Bucs go 0-26 or 16-0?

While I enjoy sports and take pleasure when the local franchises do well, it's only a game and my life will go on regardless of how they do. I don't wrap myself up in their exploits that much.

Thanks for sucking the life out of the thread, Captain Buzzkill. Of course everyone (except psu) knows that it's just millionaires playing games and that nothing much changes at the end of the day, regardless of the results of these games. That doesn't mean that it's not fun to rip on other fans.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92622 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 1:38 PM
You could always hope for a 2-2 tie.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92624 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 2:34 PM
Thanks for sucking the life out of the thread, Captain Buzzkill

Whatever.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92626 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 3:15 PM

Ask him about the Tom Landry/Bud Grant days!

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92627 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 3:21 PM
Ask him about the Tom Landry/Bud Grant days!

No. Wonderpup might still be lurking.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92628 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 3:25 PM
No. Wonderpup might still be lurking.

Good point. There may also be some octogenarians lurking who would like to talk about the Cowboy glory hole days.

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92629 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 3:28 PM
There may also be some octogenarians lurking who would like to talk about the Cowboy glory hole days.

They still would have been old during the Cowboys' last wins, which would also mean that they could actually remember a Lions or Eagles championship.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92630 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 3:30 PM
They still would have been old during the Cowboys' last wins, which would also mean that they could actually remember a Lions or Eagles championship.

The Eagles have won a championship? At what?

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92631 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 3:34 PM

I was nine months old when that happened. Don't remember a thing about it.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92641 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/1/2012 11:22 PM
Admittedly, I've been bouncing between Tiger baseball and MNF, but it doesn't seem like the Cowboys are putting up much of a fight. Is that the way the game has gone down?

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92643 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 1:42 AM
Seems there's nothing left to say :-(

~aj

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92644 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 5:34 AM
Look at poor Calabogie. Although still bitterly depressed about all those times Tom Landry's team knocked Bud Grant's boys out of the play-offs, he remains in firm support of his team.

1975, that's the year I started to dislike the Cowboys. I probably would have gotten over it if it hadn't been for all that "Americas Team" garbage their PR firm put out. During the heyday of the "Americas Team" media blitz, the Pittsburgh Steelers were the dominant team in the NFL and they were the epitomy of the working class hero. Unfortunately for them the Cowboys had a MUCH better PR firm and the help of the sports media.

I have been a Vikings fan for 44 years and plan to be one until the day I die. If there's an afterlife my plan is to put time on hold outside of Vikings games so I can watch 24 hours per day. I may just haunt the Cowboys a bit for fun though.

Calabogie

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92645 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 5:37 AM
Seems there's nothing left to say :-(

BTW, I don't believe in piling on when the chips are down so my sympathy goes out to you and all Cowboys fans today. The one question I have (and have asked many times) is why the sports media keeps saying that Romo is one of the "elite QBs" in the league. He's better than average most days but he's certainly not one of "the elite."

Calabogie

Author: philkessel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92646 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 7:59 AM
most Viking fans hatred of Cowboys dates back to that ridiculous Hersel Wallker trade that helped the Cowboys for many years...

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92647 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 8:22 AM
most Viking fans hatred of Cowboys dates back to that ridiculous Hersel Wallker trade that helped the Cowboys for many years...

I never blamed that on the Cowboys, I blamed the Vikings brain-trust for that one. The most insane trade in the history of the NFL, followed closely by the Ricky Williams trade.

Calabogie

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92648 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 8:37 AM
Recommendations: 4
The one question I have (and have asked many times) is why the sports media keeps saying that Romo is one of the "elite QBs" in the league.

I know the reason, but you need to pay attention because I'm only going to say it once. Ready? Here's the reason:

A lot of the people that work in sports media are idiots.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92649 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 8:50 AM
The one question I have (and have asked many times) is why the sports media keeps saying that Romo is one of the "elite QBs" in the league. He's better than average most days but he's certainly not one of "the elite."

He is good to very good, but is prone to brain cramps at the most inopportune times.

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92650 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 9:25 AM
The Eagles, whom I hate, actually have 2 championships that I know of. They beat Lombardi's Packers for the last one.

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92651 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 9:33 AM
Unlike the Cowboys, the Steelers have never been big at tooting their own horn. They'd rather just kick your ass. And often they do.

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92652 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 9:39 AM
Any adjective better than "good" when used to describe Romo is an exaggeration of the highest order. The only thing that matters in pro sports is results. And Mr. Romo does not achieve good ones.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92653 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 10:36 AM
The Eagles, whom I hate, actually have 2 championships that I know of. They beat Lombardi's Packers for the last one.

But enough about Tom Landry's father's childhood.....

Author: NajdorfSicilian Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92654 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 5:26 PM

Hell, I'd settle for one in the past 50 years.

Or next 10...

...I'm even willing to take a mere SB appearance in N'Awlins this year as opposed to that joke of a city in Jacksonville.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92655 of 96067
Subject: Re: I hate rooting for the Cowboys Date: 10/2/2012 8:59 PM
"The Bucs have won a Super Bowl in this century, unlike those joke franchises in Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo, and Dallas. "

There are 32 teams and there have been only 11 SuperBowls in this century. Kind of hard to fit everyone in.

Of course, in the previous 25 years Dallas won four and the Bucs won... oh, that's right, none.

~aj

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement