Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a Bernina 630, and I like it. I think it has too many features for the type of sewing that I do. I mostly quilt, but I want to move into garment sewing.

I like that it has some basic stitches that will work with knits since I don't have a serger. I use the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) when I free motion quilt, but you may have already mastered that if you quilt on your current machine.

Bernina does have a nice quarter inch foot, and also a quarter inch foot with a guide, which I prefer. I have about 20 feet, most of which I bought when the store where I purchased it had demos on the feet. For example, I have a piping foot, but I have never made piping. I stopped buying feet a long time ago.

The machine comes with basic feet, such as a edge foot, an open toe foot, and a zipper foot. The quilting edition probably comes with a darning foot and a quarter inch foot as well.

I'm quite happy with my Bernina, I've had it for just over 10 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. The store where I purchased it went out of business, then the dealer nearest to me after I moved went out of business, then the next closest dealer went out of business, and it happened yet again. There are a couple of newer dealers, but I don't have confidence they will stay in business long since so many Bernina dealers come and go.

In fact, I am taking a break to rest my shoulders, I'm quilting a baby quilt backed with Minkee right now, I can't wait to finish it.

I look forward to hearing what you think after you shop tomorrow.

I believe isewquilts also uses a Bernina, maybe she will contribute to the discussion.

Cosmos
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement