No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a EE bond that will mature in October and I was thinking about rolling it into an I bond. Is there anyway to do this without paying taxes on the gains from the EE bond?

No--an EE cannot be rolled over to an I-Bond, so you would have to redeem the EE bond and then use cash to buy the I-Bond.

BTW, when you say the EE bond will mature, do you mean it will reach face value, or do you mean it will reach final maturity (30 years from date of issue)?

The only way that comes to mind to delay paying income tax on a matured EE is to roll it into HH or use the EE for qualifying educational expenses. You may want to read up on this at

Also, can one buy an I bond through an IRA?

As far as I am aware, I-Bonds cannot be held in an IRA nor in any other kind of retirement account. You might want to look at TIPS or a TIPS fund for inside an IRA if you want inflation protection.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.