Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have a friend whose son still lives at home with him at the age of 29. His son has a disease called Crohns Disease. This is a very disabling disease hence his ability to work is very limited. My friend provides him 100% support in the way of food, room and board. In addition he pays all his bills including his insurance costs and medical cost.
I have researched but can not find where he can write him off as a dependent or get any type of tax credits. Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

I suspect you've missed something. At a minimum, your friend should be able to deduct his son's medical expenses since his son should be a "qualified relative" for that purpose. (See IRS Pub. 502). If the son is "permanently and totally disabled" (probably not if can work at all) then he is a "qualifying child".

If he's a qualifying child, then the father can take a dependency exemption; if a qualifying relative, the father can take the dependency exemption only if the son has less than $3700 in gross income. (See IRS Pub. 501).

If the father is single, he may qualify for Head of Household filing status.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.